DSpace Open Access repository development in Africa / Open Access Week 2011
October 31, 2011 1 Comment
During the Open Access Week, Oct. 24-30, 2011, a five-part series that looked at Open Access repository development in twelve African countries:
- PART 5: Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe
- PART 4: Sudan, South Africa
- PART 3: Mozambique, Senegal
- PART 2: Kenya, Malawi
- PART 1: Botswana, Ethiopia and Ghana
The series is co-authored by Iryna Kuchma, Open Access Programme manager, EIFL and EIFL-OA country coordinators. In 2004 there were 9 DSpace instances in Africa, in 2011 already 46.
Some results in short:
- Botswana: University of Botswana Research, Innovation and Scholarship Archive (UBRISA, http://ubrisa.ub.bw/)
- Ethiopia: Addis Ababa University (http://etd.aau.edu.et/dspace/), International Livestock Research Institute (http://www.ilri.org/), and the Economic Commission for Africa (http://www.uneca.org/).
- Ghana: Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) institutional repository http://dspace.knust.edu.gh:8080/jspui/
- Mozambique: SABER (http://www.saber.ac.mz/)
- Senegal: Biens Culturels Africains (http://bca.ucad.sn/jspui/) of the Institut Fondamental d’Afrique Noire Cheikh Anta Diop de l’Université.
- Uganda: Makerere University Library institutional repository called Uganda Scholarly Digital Library (USDL, http://dspace.mak.ac.ug/).
- Zimbabwe: University of Zimbabwe institutional repository (http://ir.uz.ac.zw/jspui/).
- Sudan: The first Sudanese Institutional Repository was released on October 10, 2011 and is now available at http://oascir.uofk.edu/.
- South Africa: University of Pretoria (http://repository.up.ac.za/, http://upetd.up.ac.za/UPeTD.htm) and Stellenbosch University (SUNScholar Repository, http://scholar.sun.ac.za/).
See also Kenya Open Data (http://opendata.go.ke/) for greater government transparency, however, still not open access in Kenya:
Institutions that have implemented IRs but are still on Local Area Network are as follows: University of Nairobi (108 items); Kenyatta University (Past Papers); College of Insurance, KMFRI (Advanced stage – 400 items), Kabarak (Advanced stage – 3000 items), Agha Khan University (80 Items), Marist International (55 items), Moi University (Advanced stage), KCA (103 items), ICIPE (21 Items), Inoorero, KEMRI and KEMU.
Thanks to all authors and to EIFL for their updates!